GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for providing primary care services, including assessing and managing patients in the clinic following established standards and practices.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Physician or Patient/Clinical Services Manager.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
- Performs a complete physical exam, obtains complete medical history and records findings. Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures. Interprets and integrates data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan.
- Administers medications and injections in compliance with state law and clinic guidelines. Sutures minor lacerations.
- Instructs patient/family regarding medications and treatments. Educates patients regarding health and illness prevention. Recommends community resources to meet patient and family needs.
- Collaborates with physicians in managing acute and long-term medical needs of patients. Provides monitoring and continuity of care between physician visits. Maintains and reviews patient records, charts and other pertinent information. Posts tests and examination results. Triages patient telephone calls and provides consultation.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
EDUCATION: BSN, MSN preferred. Successful completion of an approved nurse practitioner program.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of three years of professional nursing experience in a clinic setting plus two years of nurse practitioner experience.
REQUIREMENTS: Current state RN license.
KNOWLEDGE: The job holder must demonstrate competencies applicable to job position.
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practices and regulations to give and evaluate patient care.
- Knowledge of how to use medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish/maintain a safe work environment.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care.
- Skill in taking medical histories to assess medical condition and interpret findings.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly and establish/maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff and the public.
Combination of exam rooms and medical offices. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.